This pumpkin chili recipe is full of spicy, smoky, rich, savory fall-inspired flavors! Healthy too (includes both ground beef and vegan options).
- 1 pound 93% lean pastured, organic ground beef (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 small onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cup pumpkin ale
- 15-ounce container pure pumpkin puree
- 15-ounce container diced tomatoes
- 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeds removed and minced (for mild heat – add more for additional heat)
- 15-ounce container black beans, drained and thoroughly rinsed
- 15-ounce container cannellini beans, drained and thoroughly rinsed (optional)
- Sea salt
- Add the ground beef to a dutch oven or large stock pot and adjust heat to medium-high.
- Break up the meat using a wooden spoon, and immediately add the minced garlic, diced onion, diced carrots, and diced bell pepper. Season with salt.
- Cook for about 7 minutes, or until the meat is nicely browned and the veggies are softened.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the bay leaves, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, allspice, tomato paste, vinegar, and maple syrup. Stir to combine.
- Add the pumpkin ale and stir to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Allow the pumpkin ale to cook and reduce for about 5 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin purée and diced tomato. Season with salt. Add the minced chipotle peppers, and stir to combine.
- Partially cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and allow the chili to cook for about 45 minutes.
- Add the beans, stir, and allow the chili to cook another 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt, and serve.
- For a vegan pumpkin chili, leave out the ground beef and add both black beans and cannellini beans to bulk up the chili.
- If you’d like to use ground beef in this chili, you can skip the cannellini beans.
- This pumpkin chili is the perfect slow cooker recipe! Add all ingredients – aside from the beans – to the slow cooker set to Low heat. Cook for about 5 hours -stirring occasionally – until all veggies are softened. Add the beans, remove the slow cooker cover, and cook another 1-2 hours. (Removing the cover will allow extra liquid to evaportate.) Be sure to season thoroughly with salt, as this recipe makes A LOT of chili!
Keywords: pumpkin chili, winter, fall, autumn, pumpkin, healthy, vegan, vegetarian