- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups riced cauliflower (you can find bags of riced cauliflower in the produce aisle or the freezer section)
- 2 cups organic whole milk
- 3 cups broccoli florets (you can find bags of broccoli florets in the produce aisle or the freezer section)
- 1 cup shredded carrots (you can find bags of shredded carrots in the produce aisle)
- 1 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups organic, shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- If you’re using frozen cauliflower or frozen broccoli, be sure to thaw it first in the microwave.
- Prepare the broccoli by chopping the florets into bite-sized pieces, according to your preference. I prefer quarter-inch mini florets.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, chopped onion, and riced cauliflower and cook until softened, about 6-7 minutes. Add the milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Use an immersion hand blender to puree the mixture until it’s smooth (or transfer mixture to a food processor to purée). The mixture should have a thick and creamy texture. Set aside.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the broccoli and shredded carrots and season with salt and pepper. Cook until veggies are softened, about 5 – 7 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil, then adjust the heat to a light simmer. Stir in the dijon, honey, and paprika. Adjust the heat to low.
- Carefully stir in the cauliflower purée and the shredded cheddar until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.