Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound organic pastured skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 pound frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups organic cottage cheese, strained
- 1 cup organic grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring two cups of water to a boil in a saucepan, and season with salt. Add the quinoa and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until the water is absorbed, about 10-12 minutes. The quinoa is cooked when the spiral germ becomes visible around the grains.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large oven-safe skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the cubed chicken and season with salt and pepper. Saute until the outsides are nicely browned, about 7 minutes. Add the thawed chopped broccoli and cook until the broccoli is lightly softened, about 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Add the cooked quinoa, cottage cheese, and 2/3 cups grated cheddar. Stir until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- (If skillet is not oven-safe, transfer ingredients to a large casserole dish at this point.)
- Spread the remaining 1/3 cup grated cheddar over the top of the casserole.
- In a small bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan, and one teaspoon of olive oil. Stir until breadcrumbs are well coated with oil. Spoon breadcrumb mixture all over the top of the casserole.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until breadcrumbs are lightly browned and cheese begins bubbling, about 10 minutes. Serve.