Total Time: 20 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 small onion, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, or diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon 100 percent pure maple syrup
- 15-ounce container black beans, thoroughly drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup organic frozen sweet corn
- 1/2 cup organic shredded sharp cheddar cheese, or vegan cheddar
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a deep sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and carrots and cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, chili powder, vinegar, and maple. Stir until well combined, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the black beans and corn and cook until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer chili to serving bowls and top with shredded cheddar and chopped chives. Serve over whole grain toast, brown rice, or baked potato.