Here’s the recipe for a richly flavorful healthy shepherds pie that’s quick and easy to make with just one skillet. The perfect vegetarian weeknight meal!
- 5 small white or yellow potatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups carrots, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 small onion, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, diced
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn kernels
- 2/3 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Using a fork, pierce several holes throughout each potato. Place potatoes on a microwave-safe dish and microwave until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 8-12 minutes.
- Place potatoes in a mixing bowl, add the milk, and mash potatoes using a potato masher. Season thoroughly with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic, onions, and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until veggies are softened and the liquid from the mushrooms is cooked away, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, thyme, and cinnamon and stir until well combined.
- Add the red wine and cook until wine is reduced, about 2 minutes.
- Add the corn and black beans, and stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and smooth out the filling so it’s evenly spread across the skillet.
- Spread the mashed potatoes so that they form a smooth and even “crust” on top of the filling. Spread the cheddar evenly over the top of the potatoes.
- Turn on the oven broiler and place the skillet under the broiler. Cook until the cheese turns golden, about 4-5 minutes. Remove, allow to cool slightly, and serve.