This easy chili cheese fries recipe is perfect for a weeknight and ready in 30 minutes. Healthy and vegetarian, made with sweet potatoes and black beans.
- 12 ounces frozen all-natural sweet potato fries
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 small onion, diced
- 16 ounces chopped tomatoes (or diced tomatoes)
- 2 teaspoons 100% pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- Sea salt
- 2/3 cup organic shredded sharp cheddar
- 3 Tablespoons chives (or cilantro or parsley), chopped
- Prepare frozen sweet potato fries according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, as fries are baking in the oven, prepare the chili. Heat the olive oil and bell pepper in a sauté pan over medium-high heat, stirring often, until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and add the garlic and onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is fragrant and softened, about 2-3 minutes. Season veggies with salt.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, maple syrup, vinegar, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, and chili powder. Stir until well combined. When excess liquid from tomatoes is cooked away, after about 5-7 minutes, add the black beans. Stir until well combined, and season with salt.
- Arrange sweet potato fries on dinner plates. Smother fries with chili, then top chili with shredded cheddar cheese and chives (or cilantro or parsley). Serve.
Even fries that are crispy and fresh from the oven will become soggy once they are smothered in chili! If you prefer crispy fries, place the fries on one half of your dinner plate and chili (topped with cheddar and fresh herbs) on the other. Grab a little of both on your fork and enjoy chili cheese fries with crispy fries!
Keywords: chili cheese fries, healthy, vegetarian, easy, 30-minute meal, sweet potato cheese fries, vegetarian cheese fries