This slow cooker chicken cacciatore is easy to prepare on a busy weeknight. Healthy, with bell peppers & mushrooms, it’s also richly flavorful!
1 pound organic pastured skinless boneless chicken breasts
26 ounces diced tomatoes (or chopped tomatoes)
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon Herbes de Provence
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, roughly chopped
1 green bell pepper, roughly chopped
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
Sea salt and ground black pepper
Parmesan, grated (optional)
Parsley, chopped (optional)
- Arrange the chicken so that it lies flat on the bottom of the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add diced tomatoes, red wine, olive oil, honey, and Herbes de Provence. Chicken should be fully covered by the liquids. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic, onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper.
- Set the slow cooker to High heat. Cover and cook, untouched, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir until all veggies are well coated in sauce, making sure to leave the chicken at the bottom of the pot. Remove the slow cooker lid. Cook for about 4 hours on High heat, uncovered, until chicken is tender and falls apart with a fork and sauce is thick and chunky. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over whole grain pasta, brown rice, quinoa, farro, or mashed potatoes. Top with grated parmesan (optional) or chopped parsley (optional). Serve.
- For chicken that’s tender and falls apart with a fork, make sure the chicken stays fully covered in liquids and sauce for the entire cook time.
- For a thick sauce, be sure to remove the slow cooker lid for the last 4 hours, to allow all of the excess liquid from the veggies to evaporate.
Keywords: Chicken, Chicken Cacciatore, Easy, Healthy, Slow Cooker, Italian, Winter, Mushroom, Tomato, Bell Pepper