Healthy and full of nutritious ingredients, these chicken fajita bowls are packed with flavor and easy to make in the slow cooker!
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 pound organic pastured skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup onion, thinly sliced (about 1/3 of a medium onion)
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and sliced into quarter-inch strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, sliced
- 2 cups precooked parboiled 100% whole grain brown rice (such as Minute brown rice)
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (or substitute parsley or chives)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Sea salt
- Add the cider vinegar, maple syrup, vegetable broth, ground oregano, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, and chili flakes to the slow cooker. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Season chicken with salt and place in slow cooker so that all of the chicken is completely submerged in liquid. Add the garlic and onion.
- Set the slow cooker to High heat, cover and cook, untouched, for 3 1/2 hours.
- Add the sliced zucchini and bell pepper to the slow cooker. Season with salt. Chicken should remain at the bottom of the slow cooker, completely covered in liquid. Cover and cook on High heat for one hour.
- About 15 minutes before serving, cook brown rice according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, remove chicken from the slow cooker and place on a large cutting board or serving platter. Using two forks, shred the chicken. The chicken should be very tender and just fall apart.
- Season the shredded chicken thoroughly with salt, then add it back to the slow cooker. Stir until chicken is thoroughly coated in broth. Season to taste with salt.
- Next, remove the pit and skin from the avocado and dice the avocado.
- Squeeze the juice from the lime all over the avocado.
- Chop the cilantro (or other herbs).
- Spoon the cooked rice into serving bowls. Next, top with the chicken fajita mixture – along with some of the broth, which helps to flavor the rice. Add shredded Mexican cheese, then avocado, and cilantro. Serve.
Don’t skip the fresh lime juice! It adds a really delicious layer of flavor to the chicken fajita bowls and it keeps the avocado from turning brown.
Be sure to spoon some of the broth from the chicken fajita mixture over the rice for added flavor!
Keywords: easy, healthy, chicken fajitas, chicken fajita bowls, rice bowls, slow cooker