A complete, healthy, vegetarian dinner that’s cooked in one pot, this Mexican rice and beans skillet is full of rich, savory, cheesy, delicious flavor!
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup onion, diced (about 1/3 of a medium onion)
- 16-ounce jar prepared salsa verde
- 2 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups 100% whole grain precooked parboiled brown rice (such as Minute rice)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 15 ounces white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen organic sweet corn
- 1 1/2 cups organic Mexican blend cheese
- Sea salt
- Tortilla chips
- Cilantro, chopped (or substitute chives or parsley)
- Add the olive oil to a large, deep, oven-safe skillet. Add the bell pepper and cook over medium-high heat until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Adjust the heat to medium and add the garlic and onion. Season with salt. Cook until slightly softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the salsa verde, vegetable broth, brown rice, cumin, and coriander. Stir until well combined. Cover the skillet, bring to a boil, then adjust to a light simmer. Cook – stirring occasionally – until rice is nearly tender and broth is mostly absorbed, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the cover, and adjust the heat to low. Add the white beans and corn and stir until well combined. Season thoroughly with salt.
- Arrange a thin layer of shredded cheese all over the top of the skillet. Place the skillet under the oven broiler and cook until the cheese bubbles and turns golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and allow it to cool slightly. Crush handfuls of tortilla chips over the top of the rice skillet. Also top with fresh cilantro (or chives or parsley). Serve.
Be sure to use precooked parboiled rice (such as Minute rice) in order to keep the cook time to about 30 minutes.
The tortilla chips are a necessary ingredient for adding a crispy, crunchy element to the dish.
Keywords: vegetarian, rice and beans, Mexican, Southwestern, one pot, skillet, salsa verde