Foil packets are the foolproof way to grill fish! This easy recipe (with pesto, potatoes & tomatoes) is super flavorful but also fresh and healthy.
- 3 small white potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- 1 pound flaky white fish (haddock, cod, or halibut)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat (about 400 degrees F).
- Tear off four large squares of aluminum foil, each about 10 inches in length. Fold each in half to create a fold line, then open, like a book.
- Cut the potatoes into small, quarter-inch diced pieces (the small dice will allow the potatoes to cook as quickly as the fish).
- Divide the potatoes into four equal portions, and place them in the center of each piece of foil.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the first portion of potatoes. Season thoroughly with salt and pepper. Add chives. Using hands, mix until all potatoes are well coated with olive oil, salt and pepper, and chives. Repeat process with the other foil packets.
- Cut the fish into four equally-sized portions and place one piece on top of each portion of potatoes.
- Arrange equal amounts of sliced cherry tomatoes over each piece of fish.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Fold up the sides of the left half of the foil, creating a ’bowl’ that contains the food.
- Fold over the right half of the foil, covering the food. Carefully roll the top half of the foil together with the edges of the left half of the foil, sealing all edges and creating an air-tight packet.
- Place the packets right-side-up (with the potatoes on the bottom) directly on the grill. Cook for about 12-15 minutes.
- Use a spatula to remove the packets from the grill, and plate.
- Use kitchen shears or a knife to cut a slit through the top center of each packet to fold open. Open carefully – the steam that will rise from each packet is very hot. Check to be sure fish is opaque and cooked through to the center. If fish is not cooked through, place back on the grill for 5-7 minutes more.
- Top each portion of fish with a tablespoon of pesto.
- Serve the fish pockets directly in the foil to retain all of the flavors from the oil and seasoning.
Keywords: grilled fish, white fish, healthy, light, grilling, pesto, tomato, potato, grill packets, foil packets