Rich, sweet, buttery & bursting with blueberry & lemon flavor! You’d never guess these muffins are healthy, made with almond flour, yogurt and olive oil.
- 1 cup small blueberries
- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond flour (or substitute whole wheat flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup organic whole plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest from 1 large lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the blueberries and 2 teaspoons flour to a bowl. Stir until blueberries are well coated in flour. Set aside. (Coating the blueberries in flour helps to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the muffins during baking.)
- In a large bowl, stir and combine all-purpose flour, almond flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a second mixing bowl, add the sugar, olive oil, eggs, yogurt, vanilla extract, and lemon zest. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the lemon mixture into the flour mixture. Stir until batter is smooth and well combined.
- Carefully fold in blueberries until well combined.
- Arrange baking cups in a muffin pan. Spoon batter into baking cups, filling a bit more than 3/4 of the way to the top of each baking cup.
- Bake until the tops are lightly golden and spring back when touched. Or until a toothpick dipped into the center of each muffin comes away without any batter clinging to it, about 26-29 minutes.
- Allow muffins to cool, about 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Storage: store in an airtight covered container at room temperature for 2-3 days. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- For a delicious fresh lemon flavor in these muffins, you’ll need a zester to scrape off the zest (the top layer of bright yellow skin from a lemon).
- To keep blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the muffins, use smaller sized blueberries. And be sure to coat them in flour before adding them to the batter.
- If you’ve carefully measured all of the ingredients in the recipe and your muffins aren’t rising, you probably need to buy fresh new baking powder.
Keywords: almond flour, olive oil, yogurt, blueberry, lemon, baking, healthy, muffins, breakfast, snack