This healthy vegan pumpkin curry is richly flavorful with a creamy sauce made from coconut milk and pumpkin purée. Easy to make in the slow cooker!
For the Pumpkin Curry:
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 cups carrots, roughly chopped (about 3 small carrots)
- 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 15-ounce can pure pumpkin purée
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (from 1 small orange)
- Curry Spice Blend (see ingredients for Curry Spice Blend, below)
- 2 cups yellow potatoes, roughly chopped (about 2 yellow potatoes)
- 15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup roasted, salted almonds, chopped
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Sea salt
For the Curry Spice Blend:
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper chili flakes
- Add the garlic, onion, bell pepper, carrots, pumpkin puree, coconut milk, orange zest, and Curry Spice Blend to the slow cooker. Season thoroughly with salt. Stir until well combined.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook on High heat for 2 hours.
- Add the chickpeas and potatoes. Season thoroughly with salt. Stir until well combined. Cover and continue cooking on High heat for 1 hour more.
- Remove the lid from the slow cooker. Continue cooking on High heat for an additional 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Removing the cover will allow the curry sauce to reduce and thicken.
- Serve the pumpkin curry over couscous or rice. Top curry with chopped almonds and cilantro before serving.
- Be sure to season very thoroughly with salt for this recipe, since it makes a big batch of curry!
- 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper will result in a mild curry with just the slightest hint of spiciness. For more heat, add 1/2 teaspoon (or more!)
- For the orange zest, use a microplane zester to scrape the bright orange top layer of skin from the orange.
- If the curry sauce is too thin, allow it to continue cooking at High heat with the lid off.
Keywords: healthy, slow cooker, Indian, curry, pumpkin, coconut milk, turmeric, pumpkin curry, vegan, vegetarian