Easy to prepare in under 30 minutes (with just one pan!), this healthy huevos rancheros recipe is bursting with bold, bright, addictive flavor!
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon safflower oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 mini (4.5-inch) whole grain tortillas
- 4 organic pastured eggs
- 1/2 cup organic shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- 1 small tomato
- fresh chives (optional)
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- sea salt
- Move the oven rack to the middle of the oven (about 6-8 inches from the top of the oven). This will keep the tortillas from burning before the eggs are fully cooked. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add the black beans, oil, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin, and red pepper flakes to a mixing bowl. Season thoroughly with sea salt. Stir until beans are evenly coated with oil and spices. Use a potato masher to lightly mash the beans.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the tortillas on the baking sheet so they’re not overlapping.
- Spoon some of the bean mixture onto each tortilla. Use the beans to create a circular “border” or “cup” around the outer edge of each tortilla (the beans should hold the eggs in the center of each tortilla.)
- Arrange a bit of shredded cheese over beans and tortillas. Break one egg into the center of each tortilla. The bean “cups” should hold the eggs in place. Season with salt.
- Cook in the oven until eggs are white and firm. (Lightly shake the pan to test if the eggs are still liquid.) Achieving perfectly runny egg yokes may take practice. Runny egg yokes require about 13-14 minutes at 375 degrees (with the oven rack in the center of the oven). Over-hard eggs will take about 14-16 minutes.
- Meanwhile, (as huevos rancheros are cooking in the oven), peel, pit, and dice the avocado. Squeeze the juice from the lime and pour it all over the diced avocado (to add tangy flavor and also to keep the avocado from turning brown).
- Dice the tomato, and chop the cilantro or chives. Season the avocado and tomato with salt.
- Remove the huevos rancheros from the oven. Top each one with a bit of shredded cheese.
- Use a spatula to transfer the tortillas to serving plates. Arrange avocado, tomato, and fresh herbs over the huevos rancheros, and serve while still hot from the oven.
1.) For very mild (not spicy) huevos rancheros, add just a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes. Add additional red pepper flakes for more spiciness.
Keywords: breakfast, bruch, vegetarian, meatless meal, healthy, easy, sheet pan, one pot, huevos rancheros, eggs, tortillas, avoacdo, tomato, Mexican