One of my favorite recipes of the year, this comfort food makeover is a hybrid between a healthy avocado toast and a classic, comforting BLT.
- 4 strips humane, pastured bacon
- 6 slices artisinal bread
- 6 grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and arrange bacon on wire rack so no two strips are overlapping. Cook the bacon about 8-10 minutes, or until small bubbles form and the bacon turns crisp and golden. Very carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven, taking care to not splatter bacon grease. The bacon will continue to crisp as it cools on the counter.
- Arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet and place under the oven broiler. Toast until golden, about 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, as bacon and bread are cooking, quarter the grape tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Chop the lettuce.
- Put the mashed avocado in a bowl and cover it with the lemon juice. Season thoroughly with salt and pepper. Mash the avocado with a fork.
- Spread the mashed avocado over the slices of bread. Add the chopped tomato and lettuce. Crumble the bacon over the top.
Use leftover tomatoes and lettuce to make a salad to serve with your Avocado Toast BLT.
Keywords: avocado, avocado toast, BLT, brunch, breakfast, lunch, bacon lettuce tomato