This chimichurri chicken rice bowl is easy to make in the slow cooker. A flavorful twist on chicken and rice, full of fresh ingredients!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound organic, pastured, skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 small onion, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cups brown whole grain parboiled rice
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (or substitute parsley)
- 1 avocado, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 lime
- 24 organic tortilla chips
- Sea salt
- Add the oil, vinegar, honey, oregano, cumin, paprika, and chili flakes to a slow cooker. Whisk until ingredients are well combined.
- Add the chicken to the pot. Season thoroughly with salt.
- Add the garlic, onion, and peppers. Season with additional salt.
- Seal the slow cooker with the lid. Set the heat to Low. Cook for about 6 hours, until chicken is fork tender.
- Prepare the rice according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Use two forks to shred the chicken – it will just fall apart with the forks.
- Season the pulled chicken with salt. Pour it back into the slow cooker.
- Add the cilantro (or parsley) and chives to the slow cooker. Stir until herbs are well combined and chicken is well coated in liquid.
- Transfer the cooked rice to serving bowls. Spoon the chimichurri chicken mixture, including the liquid, over the rice. The sauce will soak into and flavor the rice.
- Top the bowls with chopped avocado. Squeeze the lime juice all over the avocado.
- Crush a few tortilla chips to top each bowl. Serve and enjoy.
- The fresh lime juice is a key ingredient for adding a zesty flavor and keeping the avocado from turning brown.
- The tortilla chips are also a key ingredient for adding a delicious crunch to the dish.
Keywords: Rice Bowl, Slow Cooker, Crock Pot, Chicken, Chimichurri, Southwestern, South American, Mexican, Chicken and Rice,