Total Time: 45 minutes (20 minutes inactive time)
Inactive: 20 minutes
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Yield: 12 fritters, 4 servings (1 serving is 3 fritters)
- 3 medium organic zucchini, grated
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- 1 organic, pasture raised egg
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl. Toss the grated zucchini with 1/2 teaspoon salt and place in the strainer. Allow zucchini to sit about 12 minutes, then press and squeeze all water from zucchini. Repeat the process, tossing with an additional 1/2 teaspoon salt and allowing zucchini to sit an additional 10 minutes. Again press and squeeze all water from zucchini.
- Meanwhile, bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add the quinoa and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until the water is absorbed, about 6-9 minutes. The quinoa is cooked when the spiral germ becomes visible around the grains.
- In a mixing bowl, stir and combine zucchini, quinoa, parmesan, egg, thyme, garlic powder, and black pepper. Scoop small handfuls of the zucchini mixture and form small, round 1/4-inch thick patties.
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Arrange the fritters on the pan so that none are overlapping (working in batches if necessary). Allow fritters to cook until edges begin to turn golden, about 4-6 minutes. Flip with a spatula and cook about 4 minutes more. Serve.