Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 12 ounces whole wheat fusilli pasta
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, diced
- 12 ounces frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup organic 2 percent milk
- 1 1/2 cups organic shredded mild cheddar
- 1/4 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan, freshly grated
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Boil a large pot of water. Salt the water and add the pasta. Cook until just al dente, about 7-9 minutes. Drain.
- While the pasta cooks, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add the broccoli and heat until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and spoon the veggies into a large casserole dish.
- Place the emptied pan back on the stovetop, set to low heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, then slowly whisk in the flour. When the mixture is smooth, add the milk and whisk. Turn off the heat and add the cheddar, stirring until smooth and creamy. Season with a small dash of salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta to the casserole dish, along with the cheese sauce. Stir until veggies and pasta are coated in cheese sauce, and everything is well combined.
- Add the panko and parmesan to a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and stir until mixture is well combined and breadcrumbs are evenly coated in oil. Spoon the mixture over the top of the pasta.
- Bake until cheese sauce bubbles and breadcrumbs are golden, about 8 minutes. Serve.