This cheesy broccoli pasta bake is easy and ready in under 30 minutes. Rich, comforting, and flavorful, you’d never guess it’s also healthy and nutritious.
I know January is peak “Healthy Eating” season (who doesn’t add “eat healthier” to their list of resolutions every single New Year?)
Isn’t it a cruel coincidence that this month is also the height of cold, windy, slushy days?
All the chilly dreariness always leaves me wanting only one thing:
More specifically, a plate of warm pasta.
Even more specifically, a plate of warm, gooey, cheesy pasta.
But instead of drowning my gray-sky blahs in a big bowl of mac and cheese, I wanted to hang on to my resolution and cook up something that felt like a complete and nutritious meal.
So I came up with this rich and delicious (yet healthy) cheesy broccoli pasta bake.
Being Mom to a baby, I’ve also made this broccoli pasta bake really easy – it’s ready in about 30 minutes.
This dish is comforting, warm, cheesy, and delicious, but it’s also full of nutritious ingredients.
Like mushrooms, garlic, broccoli, and whole grains.
So there’s no need to feel like I’m ditching your resolution for yummy comfort food!
Let the snow fall and the wind blow – I’ve got a bowl of warm, yummy comfort food (that could still kind of count as healthy)!
Here’s the recipe for this 30-Minute Cheesy Broccoli Pasta Bake:Print
Total Time: 30 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 12 ounces whole wheat fusilli pasta
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, diced
- 12 ounces frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup organic 2 percent milk
- 1 1/2 cups organic shredded mild cheddar
- 1/4 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan, freshly grated
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Boil a large pot of water. Salt the water and add the pasta. Cook until just al dente, about 7-9 minutes. Drain.
- While the pasta cooks, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add the broccoli and heat until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and spoon the veggies into a large casserole dish.
- Place the emptied pan back on the stovetop, set to low heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, then slowly whisk in the flour. When the mixture is smooth, add the milk and whisk. Turn off the heat and add the cheddar, stirring until smooth and creamy. Season with a small dash of salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta to the casserole dish, along with the cheese sauce. Stir until veggies and pasta are coated in cheese sauce, and everything is well combined.
- Add the panko and parmesan to a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and stir until mixture is well combined and breadcrumbs are evenly coated in oil. Spoon the mixture over the top of the pasta.
- Bake until cheese sauce bubbles and breadcrumbs are golden, about 8 minutes. Serve.
For Related Recipes, Check Out: