This pulled chicken taco recipe is full of rich, delicious flavor. It’s easy to make in the slow cooker with just 10 minutes of prep time. Healthy too!
For the Pulled Chicken:
- 1 pound organic pastured skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 cup strained tomatoes (or tomato puree)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 small onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 15 ounces white beans (such as cannellini beans), thoroughly drained and rinsed
For the Tacos:
- Hard taco shells or small / taco-sized tortillas
- Shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Packaged shredded cabbage (coleslaw)
- Ranch dressing or sour cream (optional)
- Cilantro or chives, chopped (optional)
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Season with salt.
- Pour the olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, and crushed tomatoes over the chicken so that the chicken is submerged in liquid. Season with salt.
- Add the garlic, onion, and shredded carrots. Also add the cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, chili powder, and cinnamon. Season with salt.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on High heat for 3 hours.
- Stir the ingredients, leaving the chicken at the bottom of the slow cooker. Cook for 2 hours more.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and, using two forks, shred the chicken. The chicken should easily fall apart.
- Add the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker. Also add the white beans. Season thoroughly with salt.
- Stir until everything is well combined and the chicken and beans are thoroughly coated with the tomato sauce.
- Spoon the mixture into hard taco shells or onto small tortillas. Top with shredded cabbage (i.e. coleslaw), shredded Mexican blend cheese, and chopped cilantro or chives. If you desire more creaminess, drizzle ranch dressing or sour cream over the top. Serve.
- My favorite way to serve this pulled chicken is actually as a salad! Throw some coleslaw onto a serving plate, then top with the shredded chicken mixture. Add cheese and cilantro/chives. Drizzle on a bit of ranch dressing if you like (I actually think the chicken and cheese add enough flavor to skip this step). Then top with some crushed tortilla chips. Yum!
- If you want to cook the pulled chicken on Low in the slow cooker, plan on a 7-hour cook time instead of 5 hours.
Keywords: slow cooker, chicken, pulled chicken tacos, healthy