These oven-baked Pretzel Chicken Strips are easy to make in 30 minutes, with just 6 ingredients! Tangy, salty, sweet, crispy, and so delicious!
- 1 pound organic, pastured, skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups pretzels
- 1/4 cup stone ground Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil. Place a wire rack on the baking sheet. (The wire rack helps the chicken to become crispy while baking.)
- Cut chicken into strips. Set aside.
- Place pretzels in a plastic bag and seal. Pound pretzels with a meat pounder/tenderizer until pretzels are broken down into a thick breadcrumb mixture. Pour pretzel breading onto a large plate or platter. Set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the honey, Dijon mustard, and thyme. Whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Next, create your breading station. Working one strip at a time, first dip chicken into Dijon-honey mixture until thoroughly coated. Then dip chicken strip into pretzel breading until thoroughly coated. Place chicken strip on the wire rack on the baking sheet.
- Arrange chicken strips on the wire rack so they’re evenly spaced and not touching. Coat each strip with a thin layer of olive oil spray. (The oil helps the pretzel breading turn evenly cripsy and golden.)
- Bake until pretzel breading turns crisp and golden, about 18-22 minutes. Serve.
- Because the Dijon mustard and the pretzels already contain salt, I find that no additional salt is needed in this recipe.
- For the crispiest oven-baked chicken strips, be sure to place the chicken on a wire rack and spray with olive oil spray!
Keywords: chicken fingers, chicken tenders, chicken strips, oven fried, oven baked, pretzel chicken, honey, mustard, Dijon