I realized recently that I haven’t posted many easy and quick snack recipes.
And I would like to change that.
Since we all like to have little bites to eat between meals – – but who, realistically, has time in the day for anything more than five minutes to throw together a snack?
This recipe is super simple to make, and it’s also a favorite of mine because it’s just so tasty.
It has the healthy elements: fresh bananas with metabolism-boosting manganese and immunity-boosting Vitamin C, and whole grain cereal with filling protein and fiber.
It also has a few craveable things that bring a little joy to my life: creamy, rich peanut butter and a bit of chocolate!
Here’s everything you’ll need to get started.
Begin by tossing a bit of unsweetened peanut butter into a heat-safe bowl.
I use an all-natural peanut butter with no sugar added, since the chocolate chips bring plenty of sweetness!
Heat the peanut butter in the microwave for about 45 seconds, or until it’s just barely melted.
Then stir in a crunchy, high fiber, whole grain cereal.
The one I use, Kashi GoLean Original Cereal, works perfectly for this recipe.
But if you can’t find this particular cereal, here’s what I’d recommend looking for in a cereal for this recipe:
- 1) it’s high in fiber and made with a variety of healthy whole grains
- 2) it has plenty of ‘crunch‘ (so perfectly yummy with peanut butter and banana!)
- 3) it’s made with just a hint of honey or sweetener, so there are no other flavors (like a cinnamon or fruit flavors) to clash with the peanut butter and chocolate flavors of this snack
Also stir in some chocolate chips.
If the peanut butter is still warm, they’ll melt right in – yum!
Next, grab a banana and slice it in half once lengthwise and once widthwise, so you end up with four pieces.
Arrange the banana pieces so that the flat insides face downwards on the cutting board (the peanut butter doesn’t cling very well to the smooth inside part of the banana).
Then spread a bit of the peanut butter and cereal mixture all over the top of each piece of banana, and serve immediately.
This is one of my favorite snacks these days.
It seems like packaged snacks labeled “healthy” are always boring, always bland, always not what I’d choose if I was eating what I actually enjoy.
This healthy snack, on the other hand, happens to be rich, satisfying, delicious, and full of the flavors I really crave.
It’s got the creamy peanut butter, the delicious “crunch,” the sweet chocolate.
And with fresh banana, high fiber cereal, and protein-rich peanut butter, it feels healthy and nutritious at the same time.
Plus – and here’s the key element to any snack – it’s very quick to throw together!
Here is the complete, printable recipe:
- Serving size: 4
- Calories: 182
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Trans fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 26.5g
- Sugar: 12.9g
- Sodium: 21mg
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 5.8g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
Prep: 4 minutes
Cook: 45 seconds
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 large bananas
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened peanut butter
- ¾ cup plain, high fiber, whole grain cereal (suggested: Kashi GoLean Original Cereal)
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- Add the peanut butter to a heat-safe bowl and microwave for about 45 seconds, or until it's just barely melted. Add the cereal and stir until well combined. Add the chocolate chips and stir again.
- Slice the first banana in half once lengthwise and once widthwise to create four pieces. Repeat with the second banana. Arrange the banana pieces so that the flat insides face downwards on the cutting board (the peanut butter doesn't cling very well to the smooth inside part of the banana). Spread a bit of the peanut butter and cereal mixture all over the top of each piece of banana, and serve immediately.
Healthy and delicious! I like 🙂
These are such a fun, quick treat! Very creative!
OMG I love these! Def my kinda snack-sooo yummyyy!
Looks soo good and easy to prepare, mmh!
This is a perfect snack for my 17 year old who is always hungry!
What a fun snack! But you know what I really want to do with them? Freeze them and enjoy them cold – yum!
Now this is a snack I can totally get behind! I eat peanut butter and banana all the time, but I love the crunchy cereal addition, and of course, the chocolate!
I love bananas and peanut butter together 🙂 YUM!
I love a healthy snack that is still delicious! These look like dessert!!
Haha Go Lean was ALL I used to eat for breakfast in college, I love that stuff! Love how you turned it into a banana topping, yummy yummy snack Jen!!