An easy and healthy slow cooker chicken dinner with flavorful olive oil, oregano, white wine and Dijon mustard. Plus winter vegetables – like onions, carrots, and potatoes – for a complete meal in one pot!
To parents of young children, I have to ask you: is there anything more merciless, more grueling than dinnertime prep?
For little ones, dinnertime is normally the part of the day in which their personalities will veer way off course in one of two directions:
either really, really fussy OR bounding with so much energy, they’re literally running circles around the kitchen table.
For parents, this time of day is when physical and mental exhaustion normally kicks in.
I take my hat off to parents who – after working, cleaning up toddler tornadoes of toys, fending off tantrums, and battling with car seats – can summon up the motivation to prepare a healthy meal at the end of the day.
Instead of just defaulting to Chinese take-out…
…These are the reasons why I started making this slow cooker recipe for chicken with winter vegetables.
This recipe eliminates the whole crazy, exhausting dinner preparation routine completely.
Instead, simply throw everything into the slow cooker during the (relative) calm of the morning.
Then just leave the slow cooker set to low, forget about it, and let the appliance take care of everything from there (no adding ingredients later).
A complete, healthy chicken dinner – including root vegetables and potatoes – is ready just when everyone (kids and parents included!) is getting cranky from hunger.
And that is why, these days, the slow cooker is my favorite invention of all time.
Here’s the recipe for Easy Slow Cooker Dijon Chicken with Winter Vegetables:Print
Easy Slow Cooker Dijon Chicken with Winter Vegetables
- Category: Chicken Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon organic honey
- 1 pound organic pastured skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 small onion, roughly chopped
- 4 small carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 medium yellow potatoes, roughly chopped
- organic chicken broth (optional; only necessary for larger slow cookers)
- Salt and black pepper
- Add the olive oil, white wine, Dijon, and honey to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk until ingredients are well combined.
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker. Season thoroughly with salt and pepper.
- Pour the Dijon mixture over the chicken. Chicken should be mostly covered in liquid (this is necessary for the chicken to come out moist and tender, so that it falls apart with a fork).
- If you have a larger slow cooker, and the chicken is not mostly submerged, add chicken broth until chicken is mostly covered in liquid.
- Add the oregano, garlic, onion, carrots and potatoes. Don’t stir (the chicken must cook submerged in liquid). Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the slow cooker and set to Low heat. Cook for about seven hours.
- Arrange the chicken and vegetables on serving plates. Spoon the Dijon sauce over chicken and vegetables. Serve. Chicken should fall apart with a fork.
For Related Recipes, Check Out:
Healthy Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken Tacos
Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Dumpling Soup